Kreischer Brick Works, 1874
From an Industrial Directory of 1874:
NEW YORK AND STATEN ISLAND FIRE BRICK AND CLAY RETORT WORKS,
B. Kreischer & Son.
This house was established in 1845 by Balthazar Kreischer and Charles Mumpeton, under the firm name of Kreischer and Mumpeton, and so continued until 1849, when, by the decease of the latter, B. Kreischer carried on the business in his own name. In 1859 his nephew becoming associated, changed the style to Kreischer & Nephew, and two years later, upon the admission of Ad. Weber, again changed to Kreischer & Co. In 1861, the partnership was dissolved, and the style B. Kreischer again adopted. The success of this house in their branch of manufacture has been marked and satisfactory. From the commencement of its career, their productions took a high rank, their fame extended rapidly and the amount of their business has constantly increased. During the first eight or nine years, Mr. Kreischer purchased the raw material as it was needed, but considerable difficulties had been experienced about 1854 in procuring a reliable supply of Clay, and the proprietor feeling the necessity of having his own mines, purchased the Clay property (discovered by B. Kreischer) situated at Westfield, Richmond County, Staten Island, and there erected extensive works for the manufacture of Fire-Brick and Clay Retorts.
This purchase gave them, for a time, an ample supply of first-class material, taken from its native bed and manipulated under their own direction. The Clay here prepared was transported to the New York Works by means of a propeller built expressly for that purpose, but the business of the house increased so rapidly that in a few months large additions were made to these premises, and such was the growth and prosperity of this little village by reason of Mr. Kreischer’s enterprise and success that a post-office was established in 1855, and the place named Kreischerville.
In 1873 still larger additions were made to the Staten Island property making its capacity three times larger. In 1865 very valuable clay beds at Woodbridge, New Jersey, and others at Chester, Pennsylvania, were purchased. They had become so prosperous that largely increased facilities for manufacturing became an imperative necessity to meet the constantly growing demand. The New York manufactory was rebuilt during 1865, and supplied with new and vastly improved machinery, and a new style of drying and burning was introduced. The fame of their productions had now spread over all the land, and from north and south, east and west came orders in such numbers and for such quantities as to task their ability to manufacture to its utmost extent; soon, in fact, to exceed it; but Mr. Kreischer was not to be daunted. He called to his aid Messrs. W. A. Loughridge and George Ellis, and in 1867 large and complete works were built in the city of Philadelphia, Pa., where immense quantities of Fire-Bricks, Drain-Tiles and Clay Retorts are daily turned out.
In 1872 Mr. George Kreischer was admitted a partner and the present style of B. Kreischer & Son was adopted.
For a period of more than a quarter of a century Mr. B. Kreischer has given careful study and personal supervision to this important branch of manufacture. The European systems have been carefully examined by him, and such good points as they possessed, he has adopted. He has constantly striven to improve the quality of his work and the methods of producing it, his Object being to produce the best article possible to be obtained, at the lowest price. Many valuable improvements have been made from. time to time, the direct result of his careful study. Such untiring energy, industry and perseverance have met with the just reward of an unqualified success. the goods of this house rank among the very best of their class, and none excel them either in quality of material, ingenious improvements, or superiority of workmanship. The best workmen are employed and every facility which inventive genius could suggest in the way of improved machinery, has been adopted at the various manufactories of the firm.
The New York Works are located on the corner of Goerck and Delancy Streets, a reference to the engraving of them on this page, though small, will give the reader a faint idea of their size and capacity. The number of men employed in their various works located in New York City; at Kreischerville, Richmond County, Staten Island; Woodbridge, New Jersey; Philadelphia and Chester, Pennsylvania, is very large and hundreds of others are more or less directly employed in pursuits growing out of their manufactures. In short, the house is one of the largest and oldest in the United States and widely known from one side of the continent to the other. We heartily recommend those in need of articles in their line to call upon or address B. Kreischer & Son, 58 Goerck Street, New York. Polite attention will always be shown to strangers, and every facility given for examining their extensive manufactories and ware rooms together with their productions, for which the firm is justly celebrated.